Janssen Place in the Heart of Hyde Park

 

In the heart of Hyde Park sits beautiful Janssen Place; nineteen palatial homes that were built at the turn of the century.  Many of the mansions were built by the lumber barons of the time including:

#2 Janssen Place.  Built by John and Anna Tschudy, owners of Tschudy Hardwood Lumber Company.

#42 Janssen Place.  Built by Joseph Bernardin, owner of the Bernardin Lumber Company.

#3 Janssen Place.  Built by George W. Ultch, owner of the Ultch Lumber Company and at one time was converted into a Catholic Convent.

#73 Janssen Place.  Built by John M. Byrne, founder of the John M. Byrne Lumber Company.  In the early 1960’s the house was turned into four apartments.

#67 Janssen Place.  Original owner was Ralph E. Barnes, who was associated with his father’s company, John M. Byrne Lumber Company.  Legend has it that the son’s home was a wedding gift from his parents.

#96 Janssen Place

0#20 Janssen Place was built by William Pickering of the Pickering Lumber Company built in 1910.  This Italiante Revival style house is approximately 9,377 square feet on 0.82 acres with an Italian style garden complete with fountain, pool and pergola.  Behind the garden was a rose garden with over 600 varieties, most of them hybrid tea roses.

In 1914 The Kansas City Star reported that the Pickeringfamily’s side yard was the largest rose garden in the state of Missouri.  In 1948 the single family land restrictions expired and three duplexes were built and are there today.

In the mid 1950’s #20 Janssen Place was turned into eighteen apartments.  There were many changes that were made to accommodate the eighteen apartments inside the once beautiful home.  The interior staircases were removed and the solarium and side porch were enclosed along with the back of the house.

0 

In 2000 the house was purchased by Todd Bower.  He and his partner Scott Kendall started the restoration by tearing down the staircase that was built on the north side of the house and the exterior walls that were added on the south and west sides of the house.

0-50-4

After ten years of demolition work and living in the cramped quarters of the carriage house, Todd and Scott sold the house to Eric and Jane Piper in 2010.

0-10-2

Next week… new owners and a fantastic renovation is underway at 20 Janssen Place!

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: